Customs Museum(海博館)

Major Events

Go TO Content
Ching Dynasty
1684 The Cing government opened Guangzhou, Fuzhou, Ningbo, and Shanghai ports for foreign trade. The head of Customs at the port of entry was superintendent.
Inspectorate General of Customs
1854 Chianghai Customs House was established in Shanghai, ushering in the era of new Customs systems.
1859 Englishman Horatio Nelson Lay was appointed first Inspector General of Customs by Governor General of the Liang Jiang Provinces.
1863 Customs House in Tamsui was established by the Inspectorate General of Customs.
1868 The Tonnage Collection Sub-section was established to take charge of the establishment and management of lighthouses and other aids to navigation.
1896 The Cing government ordered the Customs to establish postal services, which were transferred to the Postal and Communications Department in 1906.
1929 National Tariff Schedule was enacted and the Customs autonomy was recovered.
1934 Customs Anti-smuggling Act was enacted.
1949 Inspectorate General of Customs relocated in Taipei following the national government’s moving to Taiwan from mainland China.
1989 Adoption of the Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System (HS).
Directorate General of Customs
1991 Statutes Governing the Organization of the Directorate General of Customs of the Ministry of Finance and Statues Governing Personnel Management of Directorate General of Customs of the Ministry of Finance were promulgated by the president.
1992 Cargo Clearance Automation system was implemented.
1993 Dual-channel (Red-Green Lane) Passenger Clearance System was adopted.
1996 Inauguration of the New Customs Building and the Customs Museum.
2000 Eight Customs preventive ships were transferred to the Coast Guard Administration.
2001 Kinmen and Matsu branch offices were established to carry out the clearance and preventive operations for the mini-three-links between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait.
2008 Inauguration of Customs Detector Dog Breeding and Training Center.
2009 Adoption of the Authorized Economic Operators (AEO) System
2011 Adoption of Mobile X-ray Container Inspection Machines to replace part of physical examination.
Customs Administration
2013 The Customs Administration was established after the merger of the Directorate General of Customs and the Department of Customs Administration, Ministry of Finance, and the business regarding lighthouse was transferred to the Ministry of Transportation and Communications, in accordance with the government restructuring plan.
2013 Customs-Port-Trade (CPT) Single Window System was officially launched.
2014 In order to implement the commitment of tariff concession under ASTEP (Agreement between Singapore and the Separate Customs Territory of Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen and Matsu on Economic Partnership), complementary revision was made to the Customs Import Tariff, which came into force on April 19, 2014. 
2015 Advance Cargo Information System under the Ubiquitous Economy and Trade Network Plan was fully launched.
2015 To further Implement the Customs Cooperation Arrangement under Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement (ECFA) and expand the scope of cross-strait customs cooperation, the customs administrations on both sides of the Taiwan Strait began the interchange and experience-sharing on management of customs museums.
Go TO Content